To fulfill our commitment to maintain an adequate and safe blood supply for the patients we serve, the blood bank maintains the following services:
- Blood Collection Services (BCS) department performs blood collection in the blood bank between 9am to 5 pm on all working days from voluntary or replacement donors
- Transfusion Transmissible Infections Screening Laboratory screens all donated blood for HIV 1&2, Hepatitis B surface antigen, HCV, Syphilis and Malaria parasite.
- Component production Laboratory prepares and stocks the components: Packed red cells, Platelet Concentrate and Fresh Frozen Plasma. Leucoreduction is performed on all units.
- Red Cell Serology Laboratory is responsible for blood grouping, antibody screening, compatibility testing and issue of blood/ components. All compatibility tests are performed by automated gel technology.
Additional Services Available
- Consultation to clinicians regarding transfusion needs of patients
- Blood grouping
- Compatibility testing
- Direct and Indirect Coombs Test
- Autologous Blood Collection
- Voluntary Donor Recruitment Strategies
Assistance with Procedures
The BTS department will assist in establishing acceptable standard procedures for:
- Safe Transfusion Practices
- Professional Training in transfusion medicine
- Staff training in transfusion procedures
- Quality Assurance
- Blood usage and review